Today, 4th June 2015, is the 200th birthday of Tuskar Rock Lighthouse. Please join us in wishing this notable lighthouse a Happy Birthday!
Tuskar Rock Lighthouse has helped provide safe navigation to mariners and sailors around the south east coast of Ireland since the light was first exhibited on 4th June 1815. The white tower is topped with a light that operates at night and in poor visibility during daylight hours.
Paraffin vapour burners were the light source until the light was converted to electric on 7th July 1938. Electricty allowed the use of a 3000 W lamp giving two white flashes every 7.5 seconds.
On 31st March 1993 the lighthouse was converted to automatic operation and the keepers were withdrawn from the station. The station is in the care of an Attendant and Assistant Attendant and the aids to navigation are also monitored via a telemetry link from Irish Lights headquarters in Dun Laoghaire.
You can find a more detailed history of Tuskar Rock Lighthouse in its page on our website.